USA plans to Ban TikTok and other Chinese Social Media Apps over National Security Concerns
Government of the United States is considering banning TikTok and other Chinese social media apps over national security concerns.
TikTok is a social media app owned by Beijing-based startup, ByteDance. Recall sometime last week, it was in the news that the government of India banned 59 Chinese mobile applications, including top social media platforms such as TikTok, Helo, and WeChat, to counter the threat posed by these applications to its “sovereignty and security”.
However, the Secretary of state, Mike Pompeo suggested this move during an interview with Fox News on Monday, July 6th.
According to an interview with Pompeo, When he was asked if USA should be considering a ban on Chinese social media apps, “especially TikTok”, Pompeo said, “With respect to Chinese apps on people’s cell phones, I can assure you the United States will get this one right too, Laura. I don’t want to get out in front of the President [Donald Trump], but it’s something we’re looking at.”
Pompeo added that people should only download the app “if you want your private information in the hands of the Chinese Communist Party.”
His comment comes after US lawmakers raised national security concerns over TikTok’s handling of user data, accusing the short-form video app of being a threat to national security because of its ties to China.
They also allege that the company could be compelled to “support and cooperate with intelligence work controlled by the Chinese Communist Party.”
Reacting to Pompeo’s comments, a TikTok spokesperson said in a statement: “TikTok is led by an American CEO, with hundreds of employees and key leaders across safety, security, product, and public policy here in the US.
“We have no higher priority than promoting a safe and secure app experience for our users. We have never provided user data to the Chinese government, nor would we do so if asked.” He added.
While describing the anger of the #EndSars protesters as justifiable, Governor Obiano declared that all schools and markets in the state have been closed down, stressing that all large gatherings in any form are banned.
He said that the security agencies are on notice to do the needful, asking them to resist all efforts to provoke them to the use of extreme force.
The Governor called on stakeholders including the clergy, traditional rulers, youth leaders, among others, to lend their voices and help address the escalating situation, adding that the sum of two hundred million naira (N200,000,000) has been approved to compensate families of those affected by SARS brutality in the state.
He concluded that this is not the time for destructive rumours, but a time to unite and keep Anambra state safe.
The commission says it adopts scientific research methods to gather data, analyze trends in line with the dynamism of the industry and advise government.
NBC receives, processes and considers applications for the establishment, ownership or operation of radio and television stations including cable television service, direct satellite broadcast and others
He said that the Inspector General of Police (IGP) in display of 21st century police officers compliance, highest level of professionalism and best regard for democracy yielded to the call and disbanded SARS.
The convener, however, said that surprisingly the protesters still continued with their trade of protest which was uncalled-for and unacceptable.
He said that the protest was ill conceived as the advantage and usefulness of SARS was curbing crimes in Nigeria overwhelmingly outweighed their few mistakes therefore such protest could be highly demoralizing.
He explained that their solidarity march from Unity fountain to force headquarters in Abuja was intended to boost the morale of police men and women.
On his part, Malam Kabiru Dallah, the Co-Convener of the CSOs, said that most well-meaning Nigerians appreciated the sacrifices of the police in securing the country.
” Therefore, whoever see police as enemy is a suspect.”
He commended the Inspector General of Police for the creation of Special Weapons and Tactics Team (SWATT) to replace the disbanded SARS.