Connect with us

Hot News

US vs China: China Orders US Consulate in Chengdu to Close as Tension Rises

Published

on

US vs China: China Orders US Consulate in Chengdu to Close as Tension Rises

US vs China:  China Orders US Consulate in Chengdu to Close as Tension Rises

Relationship between China and the US have been increasingly strained. Beijing has ordered the closure of a US consulate in south-western China, in a move that escalates tensions between the two countries to a new level.

However, this is a ‘Tit-for-tat’ move by Beijing to get back at US for ordering Chinese mission in Houston to close.

On Friday, China’s ministry of foreign affairs said it had ordered the US consulate in Chengdu, in Sichuan province, to cease all operations. Authorities notified the US of China’s decision to revoke its consent for the consulate to operate, according to a notice on the ministry’s website.

Describing the measure as a “legitimate and necessary response” to the actions of the US, which earlier this week gave the Chinese consulate in Houston, Texas, 72 hours to close, Beijing called on Washington to reverse its decision. Chinese officials said on Friday the mission in Houston was still operating.

“The current situation between China and the United States is something China does not want to see, and the responsibility rests entirely with the United States,” it said, urging the US to bring “bilateral relations back on track”.

Also Read:

China’s ministry of foreign affairs did not give a deadline for when the consulate must close but the editor of the state-run Global Times newspaper said on Twitter the consulate had been given 72 hours to close.

Without giving further details, the US said it ordered the Chinese consulate in Houston to shut in order to protect “American intellectual property and private information”.

China called the measure “unprecedented” and “outrageous”, and accused US diplomats of “infiltration and interference activities”.

According to the Guardian,  Pompeo said: “Today China is increasingly authoritarian at home, and more aggressive in its hostility to freedom everywhere else.”

“We, the free nations of the world, must induce change in the Chinese Communist party’s behaviour in more creative and assertive ways, because Beijing’s actions threaten our people and our prosperity,” he said, calling the Chinese leader, Xi Jinping, a “true believer in a bankrupt, totalitarian ideology”.

“If the free world doesn’t change communist China, communist China will change us,” he added.

A Chinese foreign ministry spokeswoman described as futile Pompeo’s efforts to “launch a new crusade against China”. “What he is doing is like an ant trying to shake a tree,” she wrote in English and Chinese on Twitter, which is blocked in China and used by Chinese diplomats to target international audiences.

Wang on Friday described Pompeo’s speech as a “malicious” and “groundless attack” on the Communist party and its domestic and foreign policies. “Pompeo’s remarks ignore facts, turn what is black into white and are full of ideological prejudice and a cold war mindset,” he said.

Hours after the foreign ministry’s announcement, Americans in China received a security alert, reminding them of the risk of “arbitrary detention” and the possibility of being blocked from leaving, or exit bans. US citizens in China received a similar alert a few weeks ago.

The most recent notice told Americans to “exercise increased caution,” warning that citizens may be “subjected to prolonged interrogations and extended detention for reasons related to ‘state security’”.

On Friday, journalists in Chengdu reported a heavy police presence outside the consulate following the announcement on Friday, with officers checking phones and ordering people to delete photographs.

It was not clear how many people would be affected by the closure. In 1985, it has more than 200 employees, including about 150 are locally hired Chinese staff. Many diplomats had left the country during the pandemic and have struggled to return.

A livestream hosted by the state broadcaster CCTV showed little movement outside the mission but was being watched by as many as 20 million people on Friday afternoon. Many signaled their support of the closure – with one internet user calling for the mission to be renovated and turned a hotpot restaurant. Others criticised the measure.

“Confrontation is not good, it affects the economy. It affects everyone,” one user said.

Comments

Hot News

PRESIDENT BUHARI RECEIVES THE LETTER OF GRATITUDE FROM THE PRESIDENT OF NYCN – AMB. SUKUBO SARA-IGBE SUKUBO, CHARGES SUKUBO TO SET UP SUPPORT CENTERS ACROSS NIGERIA.

Published

on

PRESIDENT BUHARI RECEIVES THE LETTER OF GRATITUDE FROM THE PRESIDENT OF NYCN – AMB. SUKUBO SARA-IGBE SUKUBO, CHARGES SUKUBO TO SET UP SUPPORT CENTERS ACROSS NIGERIA.

“The heights the great men reached and kept were not attained by sudden flight, but they while their companions slept, were toiling upward in the night”, opines Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.

WhatsApp Image 2020-08-06 at 5.00.24 PM

Today, history has again been made in the Youth Constituency as the President of the National Youth Council of Nigeria – Amb. Sukubo Sara-Igbe Sukubo, in the company of some past Presidents and NEC members of the National Youth Council of Nigeria, held a closed door meeting with the Honorable Minister of Youth and Sports Development, Hon. Sunday Dare, at the Ministry of Youth and Sports Development. Present at the meeting include the Permanent Secretary, Mr. Gabriel Tanimu Aduda, the Director Press and other Directors of the Ministry of Youth and Sports Development.

WhatsApp Image 2020-08-06 at 5.00.23 PMThe President of NYCN, Amb. Sukubo Sara-Igbe Sukubo, in his speech eulogized the Honorable Minister as a digital and innovative Minister who works round the clock to better the development of the entire Nigerian Youth.

Amb. Oladele John Nihi, the Hon. Commissioner of PYU and Past President of NYCN, thanked the Hon. Minister for his innovative prowess and urged him to keep on making giant strides in the Youth development. He also reiterated the need for the ministry to be the galvanizing point of all the Youth programmes and projects that are scattered in all other ministries, as the mother ministry of the Nigerian Youth.

In his Speech, the Honorable Minister, who just came back from the Presidential Villa after handing over the letter from Amb. Sukubo to President Buhari, conveyed the salutations of President Buhari to Amb. Sukubo.

WhatsApp Image 2020-08-06 at 5.00.22 PMThe Minister appreciated the gratitude gesture from the entire Nigerian Youth, through the National Youth Council of Nigeria, to him and to President Buhari for the establishment of the Nigeria Youth Investment Fund (NYIF). He reiterated the commitment of this administration in championing the development and welfare of the Youth of Nigeria.

“This administration, through the Ministry of Youth and Sports Development, will do everything possible to keep Nigeria Youth meaningfully and gainfully busy. The overall development and upliftment of the Nigerian Youth is our priority. In fact, in the next ten to fifteen years, Nigeria will no longer pride in her oil but in the proficiency, efficiency and innovations of her creative Youth.

The Hon. Minister used the opportunity to break another good news to the Youth Constituency of Nigeria. According to him, aside the Nigeria Youth Investment Fund (NYIF), another mindblowing and stunning initiative for the development of the Nigerian Youth will be deliberated upon by next week. In his words, “it is something that will gladden the hearts of the entirety of the Nigerian Youth and put them in the front agenda of this country.”

In the light of the forthcoming projects, the Honorable Minister charged the President of National Youth Council of Nigeria, Amb. Sukubo Sara-Igbe Sukubo, to set up support centers across the country. The Support Centers will serve as “a go-between” for the Ministry of Youth and Sports Development and the Nigeria Youth at the grassroots. The support centers will be the centers of inquiry for the Nigerian Youth, regarding the various projects that will be rolled out by the Ministry.

Toeing the good thread of National Youth Council of Nigeria (NYCN), the Speaker of the Nigerian Youth Parliament (NYP), accompanied by some of his Excos, extended gratitude gesture to the Hon. Minister and President Buhari, in appreciation for the Nigeria Youth Investment Fund (NYIF). At the end of the visit, the Hon. Minister had a photo section with NYCN and NYP.

Comments

Continue Reading

Hot News

FIGHR TO TRAIN VOLUNTEERS ON GENDER BASED VIOLENCE

Published

on

FIGHR TO TRAIN VOLUNTEERS ON GENDER BASED VIOLENCE
FIGHR TO TRAIN VOLUNTEERS ON GENDER BASED VIOLENCE

By Millicent Umoru-O

The Federation of International Gender and Human Right (FIGHR) a Division of the Maternal Care Project of United Nations (UN) Women Gambia, New York held its 2020 cohort Fellowship on Gender Based and Human Rights Violence (GBV) Advocacy program.

Gistflash gathered that the fellowship which is the first of its kind will be a joint venture, focusing on the development of the Global Ambassador Program as offered by Global Minds Connect (GMC) and Peer Advocacy Education Program as offered within FIGHR. This cohort offers to assist GMC and their pledge to educate and embark on ‘‘One Million Ambassadors’’ to help eradicate GBV and governing bodies of the African Union, ECOWAS and the United Nations in their effort of ending Gender Based Violence, internationally.

The Founder and Lead Advocate, FIGHR, Dr Ameena Ali, during the FIGHR 2020 Gender Based Violence Advocacy Fellowship organized to raise Global Youth Ambassadors said the mission of the fellowership, amongst others is to make sure there is a voice for all those affected by Gender based violence. Adding that the vision is to be a solution to GBV and empower the younger generations with education and knowledge in eradicating GBV.

Fire Razes Popular Market in Ajman, United Arab Emirates (Video)

Triumphant Entry of Sen. Orji Uzor Kalu After His Release from Prison

Dr. Ameena said the inaugural meeting is to introduce the participants and also give an insight on what the 12 weeks training will entail.

adding that, the training will all be done virtually and after the training, participants will be certified as well as become Ambassadors for Gender Based Violence in their countries.

The virtual meeting featured participants from different countries, including Nigeria, Ghana, India, South Sudan, Afganistan etc.

She urged all to take the 12 weeks training seriously so as to be able to teach and advocate for the eradication of Gender Based Violence in their various countries. She noted that, a certificate will be issued at the end of the training

According to Dr. Ameena, after the 12 weeks training, Ambassadors will be required to go out and teach, enlighten as well as help people in both urban and rural areas to know more about Gender Based Violence and assist in eradicating it.

She further stated that the certificate will facilitate the registration of Non Governmental organisation (NGOs) and Community Service Organisations (CSOs), as that will help the ambassadors reach out to the needed audience. The training which started on 4th of August, 2020 will run till October 2020.

Comments
Continue Reading

Hot News

Fire Razes Popular Market in Ajman, United Arab Emirates (Video)

Published

on

united arab emirates
Fire Razes Popular Market in Ajman, United Arab Emirates (Video)

A large fire broke out on Wednesday evening at a market in the emirate of Ajman in the United Arab Emirates, according to local media reports and a source present at the scene.

The witness told Reuters the fire, which was earlier reported by The National and Gulf News newspapers, was being tackled by emergency services.

Burna Boy Collaborates with Sam Smith for a New Album ‘My Oasis’ Set to be Released Today

Ned Nwoko Sues Journalist for N2Billion Over Defamation of Character

Local officials could not immediately be reached for comment or confirmation, and no statements were carried by state media.

This comes few hours after the Beirut fire outbreak that claimed over a hundred lives.

As at the time of filing this report, the cause of the fire outbreak isn’t known yet.

Comments
Continue Reading

Trending

%d bloggers like this: