Connect with us

Economy

“I have no accounts or property abroad”- Jonathan Reacts to FG’s Plan to Subpoena Him

Published

on

“I have no accounts or property abroad”- Jonathan Reacts to FG’s Plans to Subpoena Him

Former President Goodluck Jonathan, has reacted to reports that the federal government is planning to subpoena he and his wife’s bank records in the United States.

Bloomberg had reported that the federal government requested for “all documents concerning any transactions to, from, or for the benefit” of Jonathan and his wife between 2009 and the present day.

The Attorney-General of the Federation, Abubakar Malami was quoted saying the information will help in an ongoing investigation by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) to know individuals in the Process & Industrial Developments Ltd gas deal.

Abubakar Malami said in court filings submitted on March 24;

“There is good reason to believe that ministers at the highest level were involved in a corrupt scheme to steal money from Nigeria.”

Though the EFCC found no direct evidence backing claim of public officers receiving payments from P&ID or its affiliates, the anti-graft agenct however said 10 banks are “likely to have processed US dollar transactions connected to P&ID’s operations as either correspondent banks or the New York branches of foreign lenders”.

Reacting to the report, former President Goodluck Jonathan stated that he has no account or property abroad. 

In the statement signed by Jonathan’s spokesperson Ikechukwu Eze, a comment the former President made while swearing-in new ministers on March 5, 2014 was referenced. He said at that time that he had no accounts or property abroad.

The statement reads;

“Our attention has been drawn to international media reports to the effect that the Federal Government of Nigeria has subpoenaed bank records for former President Goodluck Jonathan and his wife, Dame Patience Jonathan in the United States of America.

“We aver that the Federal Government of Nigeria did not contact Dr Jonathan or his wife before issuing these subpoenas. If they had, we would have advised them of the fact that you cannot subpoena what does not exist.

We also remind the public that on March 5, 2014, during the swearing-in of new ministers, then President Jonathan said “I am loyal to Nigeria’s economy. I don’t have accounts or property abroad.

“We are confident in stating that between that time and now, nothing has changed with regards to Dr Goodluck Jonathan. He has no accounts in the United States of America and encourages US authorities to cooperate fully with the Federal Government of Nigeria’s subpoena.

“We would also like to state that during his tenure as President of Nigeria, Dr Goodluck Jonathan extended every courtesy to former Presidents and Heads of state because he believed and still believes that promoting, projecting and protecting Nigeria’s sovereignty and the image is the paramount duty of her government because it is not possible to belittle Nigerians without belittling Nigeria.

“Jonathan gave appropriate counsel to the incoming government in the handover notes of 2015, which advice if carried out, would have prevented the current unfortunate circumstances”.

Former public officers including former ministers of petroleum, Diezani Alison-Madueke and Rilwanu Lukman, were also included in the subpoena.

The Nigerian government is hoping to overturn $9.7 billion judgement awarded against it, for a breach of agreement in a gas project handled by the Process & Industrial Developments Ltd.

Comments
Please follow and like us:
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Economy

Kim Kardashian wants to give 1000 people $500 each

Published

on

Kim Kardashian wants to give 1000 people $500 each

Reality television star, Kim Kardashian has announced that she wants to send $500 each to a thousand people in recognition of a tough year caused by the covid-19 pandemic.

Kim, who was bashed last month for posting receipts of $1m she spent on holiday, said the monetary relief she’ll be sending will be disbursed on a first come, first served basis.

Also Read:

She wrote on Twitter;

“Hey guys! 2020 has been hard and many are worried about paying rent or putting food on their table,” the reality star tweeted to her 68 million followers on Monday afternoon. “I want to spread the love by sending $500 to 1000 people.”

She followed with instructions on how to get their tweet noticed and the money paid.

Comments

Please follow and like us:

Continue Reading

Economy

Arik Airline sacks 300 workers

Published

on

Arik Airline sacks 300 workers

Arik Airline sacks 300 workers

Arik Airline sacks 300 workers

The management of the airline disclosed this in a statement released today Friday, December 4. The management hinged its decision to sack the workers on the economic impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on its operations.

The press statement titled, “Arik Air management declares 300 staff redundant”, reads in part

“Arising from the devastating impact of the COVID-19 pandemic, leading to the constrained ability of the airline to complete heavy maintenance activities and return its planes to operations, stunted revenues against increasing operational costs, the management of Arik Air (In Receivership) has declared 300 staff members redundant to its current level of operations.

“The leadership of the impacted unions has been contacted to negotiate a redundancy package for the affected staff.”

Gistflash gathered that Passengers are already stranded the airport with the flight fully booked and no one to attend to them

Comments

Please follow and like us:

Continue Reading

Economy

Gov. Sule Orders DPMs, DFS To Proceed on Compulsory 3-Month Suspension over Alleged Fraud of 600m

Published

on

Gov. Sule Orders DPMs, DFS to Proceed on Compulsory 3-Month Suspension over Alleged Fraud of 600m

Governor Abdullahi Sule of Nasarawa State on Sunday directed the Local Government Service Com­mission (LGSC) to send all the Directors of Personal Management (DPMs) and Directors of Finance and Supplies (DFS) in the 13 local governments and 18 development areas to go on compulsory suspension for three months.

Sule said the suspension was to monitor the pay­ment of salaries of local government workers by the state auditor general, which was lingering for three months.

Also Read;

The directive was contained in a statement signed by Public Relations Officer in the Ministry for Local Government and Chieftaincy Affairs, Ibrahim Adamu Shigafar­ta, and made available to newsmen in Lafia, the state capital.

Gistflash gathered that the council officials were suspended because they refused to work with directive of the a committee set up by government to investigate the discrepancies and high wage bills incurred by local governments.

 

Comments

Please follow and like us:

Continue Reading

Trending

error

We know you enjoy our storylines. Please spread the word to your friends :)

%d bloggers like this:
Enable Notifications    OK No thanks