Hypertension, diabetes, tuberculosis, others account for 70% COVID -19 Deaths – Minister of Health, Osagie Ehanire

Hypertension, diabetes, tuberculosis, others account for 70% COVID -19 deaths – Minister of Health, Osagie Ehanire

Dr Osagie Ehanire confirms that 70% of Nigerians that have died from the novel Coronavirus in the country are patients with hypertension, diabetes, kidney disease, HIV, cancer, and tuberculosis. This he stated during the briefing of the Presidential Task Force on COVID -19 on Thursday, May 21th.

According to the Minister, analysis of the number of deaths so far recorded as a result of the virus showed that 70% were males while the remaining 30% were females.

“The core morbidity of the fatalities we have had to COVID -19, 70% of them have hypertension, or diabetes, and the rest were kidney disease, HIV, cancer, tuberculosis, and other sundry challenges.

Also Read: Minister of Interior ‘Rauf Aregbesola’ Reveals Mission of 15 Chinese Medical Doctors in Nigeria

Plant Extract in Madagascar’s CVO Drink ‘Artemisia Annua’ Grows in Nigeria – Minister of Health, Osagie Ehanire.

A finding from the analysis of the death patterns shows 70% to 30% for male and female respectively. However, about 70% fatalities were patients who are 60 years old while majority of positives were between the ages of 29 and 49; those are the most active ages in life.

A curious finding from the analysis of the deaths shows that nearly half of them died at home. Of those who died at home, about 50% did not show any symptoms. This underscores my earlier emphasis on the need for those who test positive to report for treatment.

I would also advise those who have taken the test and are awaiting results to heed the advisory to self-isolate from friends, wear face masks and observe hand and respiratory hygiene until your result is out so that your community and those around you will not necessarily be exposed.” he said

Comments
Advertisements

Leave a Reply