Connect with us

Security

BREAKING: US military rescues citizen from bandits in Nigeria

Published

on

BREAKING: US military rescues citizen from bandits in Nigeria

An American citizen, Philip Walton, abducted by suspected bandits last week in Niger Republic has been rescued during a high-risk U.S. military raid in neighboring Nigeria.

Officials told ABC News early Saturday that the mission was undertaken by elite commandos as part of a major effort to free the 27-year-old U.S. citizen before his abductors could get far after taking him captive in Niger on October 26, counterterrorism.

According to report, the operation involved the governments of the U.S., Niger and Nigeria working together to rescue Walton quickly. It said the elite SEAL Team Six carried out the rescue mission and killed all but one of the captors, according to officials with direct knowledge about the operation.

“U.S. forces conducted a hostage rescue operation during the early hours of 31 October in Northern Nigeria to recover an American citizen held hostage by a group of armed men,” said Pentagon chief spokesperson Jonathan Hoffman. “This American citizen is safe and is now in the care of the U.S. Department of State. No U.S military personnel were injured during the operation.

“We appreciate the support of our international partners in conducting this operation.”

U.S. and Nigerien officials had said that Walton was kidnapped from his backyard last Monday after assailants asked him for money. But he only offered $40 USD and was then taken away by force, according to sources in Niger.

Walton lives with his wife and young daughter on a farm near Massalata, a small village close to the border with Nigeria.

Nigerien and American officials told ABC News that they believed the captors were from an armed group from Nigeria and that it was not considered it terror-related. But hostages are often sold to terrorist groups.

Concern grew quickly after the kidnapping that an opportunity to rescue Walton could become much more dangerous if he was taken by or sold to a group of Islamist militants aligned with either al Qaeda or ISIS and American special operations commanders felt they needed to act swiftly before that could occur, said one counterterrorism official briefed on the hostage recovery operations.

A U.S. State Department spokesperson confirmed after the kidnapping that an American citizen had been abducted in Niger and said the U.S. government was “providing their family all possible consular assistance.” The spokesperson declined to comment on the case, citing “privacy considerations,” but added, “When a U.S. citizen is missing, we work closely with local authorities as they carry out their search efforts, and we share information with families however we can.”

Source: DailyNigeria

Comments
Please follow and like us:
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Security

Suspected Thief Set ablaze in Delta for Snatching Phone with a Toy Gun 

Published

on

Suspected Thief Set ablaze in Delta for Snatching Phone with a Toy Gun

Mob sets suspected thief ablaze in Delta for snatching phone with toy gun (graphic  photos)

The suspect before he was set ablaze

A suspected thief was beaten to death and set ablaze by a mob in Idjerhe community, Ethiope West Local Government Area of Delta State on Tuesday morning, November 24.

Gistflash gathered that the suspect, who was part of a two-man gang accosted a lady with a toy gun and snatched her mobile phone and undisclosed sum of money.

When the victim discovered that it was a toy gun, she raised the alarm and the suspected robbers fled.

The alarm attracted the attention of the a mob in the area, who pursued the suspects. They caught one of them, beat him to death before setting his body ablaze.

Spokesperson of the State Police Command, DSP Onome Onovwakpoyeya, confirmed the incident.

See graphic photos below…

 

Mob sets suspected thief ablaze in Delta for snatching phone with toy gun (graphic  photos)Mob sets suspected thief ablaze in Delta for snatching phone with toy gun (graphic  photos)

Comments
Please follow and like us:
Continue Reading

Security

55-year-old man arrested with 4 human skulls, hands and jaws in Ogun

Published

on

55-year-old man arrested with 4 human skulls, hands and jaws in Ogun

55-year-old man arrested with 4 human skulls, hands and jaws in Ogun

A 55-year-old man identified as Yesiru Salisu, has been arrested for being in possession of four human skulls, two dry human hands and three jaws.

Ogun police spokesperson, Abimobola Oyeyemi said the suspect who is a resident of 7, Odunsi Street, Ijebu Igbo area was arrested on Monday November 23 after being seen with a bag suspected to contain stolen property.

He said;

“The suspect was arrested after the incident was reported at Ago Iwoye division that a man was seen with a bag suspected to contain stolen property, and when he was challenged, he dropped the bag and ran into the bush.

“Upon the report, the DPO of Ago Iwoye police station, CSP Paul Omiwole, led his detectives to the scene where they opened the bag and discovered that it contains dry human parts.

“Consequently, the bush he ran into was properly combed and the suspect was apprehended.”

Upon being interrogated, he confessed to have harvested the human parts from one Christian cemetery in Oke Eri, Ijebu-Ode together with one Lekan Bakare who is now at large. The Ogun Commissioner of Police, CP Edward Ajogun has directed that the case be transferred to the state CIID for further investigation and prosecution.

 

Comments
Please follow and like us:
Continue Reading

Hot News

Nasarawa State APC Chairman, Philip Shekwo Kidnapped and Murdered

Published

on

 

The chairman of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in Nasarawa state, Philip Tatari Shekwo, who was kidnapped last night has been murdered.

Mr Bola Longe, Commissioner of Police in the state, confirmed the death of the APC chairman to reporters on Sunday in Lafia. According to him, the body of Shekwo was found in an area near his house in Lafia on Sunday and corpse has been evacuated to the Dalhatu Araf specialist Hospital.

His body was found dumped few meters away from his private residence at Anguwar Bukan -Sidi in Lafia metropolis on Sunday morning.

Gistflash was gathered that the gunmen armed with sophisticated weapons invaded the chairman’s residence around 11: pm on Saturday, November 21.

They opened fire at the gate, forcing a policeman guarding the house to take cover and then went straight into Shekwolo’s bedroom and whisked him away to an unknown destination.

The spokesman of the Nasarawa State Police Command, ASP Ramhan Nansel, who confirmed the abduction to newsmen, said policemen were immediately deployed to the scene, adding that the police engaged the gunmen in a shoot out but they managed to escape with the victim.

No suspect has yet been arrested over the kidnapping or murder.

 

Comments
Please follow and like us:
Continue Reading

Trending

error

We know you enjoy our storylines. Please spread the word to your friends :)

%d bloggers like this:
Enable Notifications    OK No thanks