The 35th Annual Film Independent Spirit Awards was a star-studded affair with Jennifer Lopez and Scarlett Johansson up for the awards, as well as their respective films, “Hustlers” and “Marriage Story”. “The Lighthouse” and “Uncut Gems” lead the nominations, with five apiece. This edition was Hosted by Aubrey Plaza and the stars gathered at Santa Monica beach in California to celebrate the best in indie film and it was held the day before the Oscars.
The winners for this edition include;
- The Best Feature “The Farewell”
- The Best First Feature “Booksmart”
- The Best Female Lead Renée Zellweger, “Judy”
- The best male Lead Adam Sandler, Uncut Gems
- The Best Supporting Female Zhao Shuzhen, “The Farewell”
- The Best supporting Male Willem Dafoe, “The Lighthouse”
- The Best Director Benny Safdie & Josh Safdie, “Uncut Gems”
- The Best Screenplay Noah Baumbach, “Marriage Story”
- The Best First Screenplay Fredrica Bailey & Stefon Bristol, “See You Yesterday”
- The Best Cinematography Jarin Blaschke, “The Lighthouse”
- The Best Editing Ronald Bronstein & Benny Safdie, “Uncut Gems”
- The Best Documentary “American Factory”
- The Best International Film “Parasite” (South Korea)
Robert Altman Award was given to the Director, Casting director and Ensemble cast of the film “Marriage Story”
Director: Noah Baumbach
Casting Directors: Douglas Aibel, Francine Maisler
Ensemble Cast: Alan Alda, Laura Dern, Adam Driver, Julie Hagerty, Scarlett Johansson, Ray Liotta, Azhy Robertson, Merritt Wever
John Cassavetes Award which is given to the best feature made for under $500,000 was won by
“Give Me Liberty”
Bonnie Award: Bonnie Tiburzi Caputo joined American Airlines in 1973 at age 24, becoming the first female pilot to fly for a major U.S. airline. In her honor, the third Bonnie Award will recognize a mid-career female director with a $50,000 unrestricted grant, sponsored by American Airlines.
This award was taken by Kelly Reichardt
Producers Award: The 23rd Annual Producers Award honors emerging producers who, despite highly limited resources, demonstrate the creativity, tenacity and vision required to produce quality, independent films. The award includes a $25,000 unrestricted grant.
This Awards was taken by Mollye Asher
Someone to Watch Award: The 26th Annual Someone to Watch Award recognizes a talented filmmaker of singular vision who has not yet received appropriate recognition. The award includes a $25,000 unrestricted grant.
This award was taken by Rashaad Ernesto Green, “Premature”
Truer Than Fiction Award: The 25th Annual Truer Than Fiction Award is presented to an emerging director of non-fiction features who has not yet received significant recognition. The award includes a $25,000 unrestricted grant.
This Award was taken by Nadia Shihab, “Jaddoland”
Though we don’t the criteria for selecting these winners…. Once again, Congratulations!!!